Job Title Caretaker Level/Salary range S5
Report to Business Manager/Headmaster Hours per week 37.5
Date Required Spring Term Weeks All year (24 days holiday to be taken during school holidays)
To provide a clean and safe environment for users of the school buildings and grounds.
• Ensure that the premises are locked and unlocked as required. Set alarm to secure the school and its grounds.
• Responsible for the safe custody of the keys of the premises.
• To be vigilant to the security of the school by carrying out site security tours.
Health and Safety
• Ensure that all work areas and fire escape routes are kept clear of obstructions.
• Inform the senior leadership of any incident or suspected hazards and take temporary precautions as appropriate.
• Ensure clear and safe pedestrian access to the school particularly in adverse weather conditions.
• Ensure COSHH guidelines are followed including safe storage of chemicals.
• Ensure the efficient functioning of heating, lighting and plumping through regular checks.
• Ability to complete tasks around the school including painting/decorating, first line maintenance of fixtures and fittings, plumbing including unblocking sinks and other “handy man” works.
• Advising on faults to the buildings, fixtures and fittings which require specialist attention
• Keep all outside areas safe, clean and tidy; ensure drains and gullies are kept free from blockages.
• High standard of grounds presentation (flower beds, litter etc).
• Play a significant role in premises improvements.
• Monitor trade people on site undertaking repair work ensuring work is completed to a satisfactory standard.
• Supervise grounds maintenance contracts to ensure is completed to a satisfactory standard.
• Gas, electric and water meters to be read monthly and reported to the Business Manager.
• Ensure all statutory testing is completed and the premises remain compliant with the relevant BS Standards.
• Ensuring all equipment used is in good repair and used to company / manufacturer’s instructions.
• Ensure that the premises and equipment are maintained to a high standard of cleanliness. Keep all areas of school clear of litter. Report whether premises are cleaned by contractions/school cleaners to the specified standard.
• To maintain appropriate records including inspections log book, fire alarm log book, repair orders etc.
• Keep the senior leadership updated on works/inspections being carried out around the school and ensure they are in accordance with the school’s policies.
• Assisting with the set-up of school events (Summer and Winter Fetes) and occasional other out of school hours events (a couple of times a term usually).
• Acting as an ambassador for school and ensuring that the school’s high standards are promoted at all times.
Experience and qualities
Experience of working in school or similar environment x
Good “handy man” skills x
Awareness of the requirements of health and safety legislation and good practice relevant to the duties of the post x
Ability to work in an organised and methodical manner to prioritise tasks x
Excellent communication skills x
Reliable and adaptable x
Proactive and be able to use initiative x
The hours are 7-11 and 2.45 – 6.15 and it’s a year round job, with about 24 days holiday..